Illumination, founded by Chris Meledandri in 2007, is one of the entertainment industry’s leading producers of event animated films. Illumination, which has an exclusive financing and distribution partnership with Universal Pictures, is the creator of the hugely successful Despicable Me franchise, which includes Minions, the second highest grossing animated film of all time, as well as Despicable Me 2, an Academy Award® nominee for Best Animated Feature of 2013. In all, Illumination’s films have grossed more than $6.7 billion in worldwide box-office revenues and feature some of the world’s most renowned talent.
Our films include a newly imagined version of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, starring Benedict Cumberbatch; The Secret Life of Pets 2 in 2019; Minions: The Rise of Gru in 2021; and Sing 2 in 2021.
In addition, “Despicable Me: Minion Rush” (more than 800 million downloads) has become one of the world’s most popular apps, and Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem attracts huge crowds at Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan and will soon open in Singapore and Beijing.
- June 2022 Illumination’s Chris Meledandri On Sharing “Pure Joy” Of ‘Minions: The Rise Of Gru’ & Why The Industry Can’t Rely On Old Paradigms To Judge The Future
- March 2022 ILLUMINATION AND UNIVERSAL PICTURES ANNOUNCE "THE SING 2 SING-ALONG EXPERIENCE", CELEBRATING ILLUMINATION'S SING 2
- March 2022 Illumination’s 'Minions: The Rise of Gru' is the Annecy Festival Opener
- September 2021 Illumination and Nintendo Announce Theatrical Release Date and Voice Cast for the Super Mario Bros. Animated Film
- August 2021 Illumination’s Chris Meledandri On Big Screen: Without Theatrical, “Notion Of A Movie May Begin To Slip Away”
- May 2021 Illumination Founder Chris Meledandri Nominated To Join Nintendo Board Of Directors
- December 2020 Halsey, Pharrell, Bono Announced as Cast Members of 'Sing 2'
- November 2018 How Chris Meledandri Became the Most Powerful Man in Animation
- February 2017 Why Illumination is One of the Most Innovative Companies